The Sports Therapy Association Podcast is recorded LIVE every Tuesday at 8pm (UK) on the Sports Therapy Association YouTube channel and Facebook Page, and then uploaded as a podcast. You do not have to be an STA member to attend the live recordings - it is a chance to network with fellow therapists and discuss topics that together help us all move forward as an industry. The goal of the podcast, hosted by Matt Phillips (creator of runchatlive.com), is to deliver to Soft Tissue Therapists of all levels (including massage therapists, sports therapists, physiotherapists, podiatrists, chiropractors, etc.) up to date information on how to be a modern, successful, effective health care practitioner, with a gold star reputation for being able to help people in pain and/or looking for performance gains. The Sports Therapy Association (STA) is a professional representation for Sports Therapists, Sports Injury Therapists and Soft Tissue Therapists. We have worked passionately to develop a truly independent and ethical association that is committed to raising standards across the industry and progressing opportunities for our valued members.
Sunday Aug 13, 2023
Sunday Aug 13, 2023
Sunday Aug 13, 2023
In this episode of the Sports Therapy Association Podcast, former professional rugby player David 'Jacko' Jackson discusses how efficient functional breathing using the nose instead of the mouth can be key in not just recovery from brain injury but also improving athletic performance.
With 316 appearances for Nottingham RFC, and 102 tries across a career of 13 years, David 'Jacko' Jackson was forced to retire in 2013 due to ‘TBI’ - Traumatic Brain Injury. Re–training as a Strength & Conditioning Coach, David co-founded the School of Calisthenics, became a Master Instructor with the Oxygen Advantage, and founded ProBreathwork.com.
In this episode, Jacko talks about his incredible journey, and explains how as soft tissue therapists we can help educate our clients to improve breathing for performance.
Topics discussed (with time stamps):
- 0:00 Intro
- 4:30 Welcome David 'Jacko' Jackson
- 5:55 History of Jacko's concussions & eventual need to retire.
- 12:00 The lack of understanding in treatment of brain trauma
- 13:25 How breathwork can improve brain health
- 15:30 How soft tissue therapists can play a role in improving education
- 20:15 Many people don't understand the basics of breathing
- 23:18 Nasal breathing & the diaphragm
- 29:50 Free Course: 'Foundation of Breathing'
- 34:36 Difference between The Oxygen Advantage and The Wim Hof Method
- 38:00 Understanding the role of CO2 in breathing
- 45:40 Why does nasal breathing improve our sensitivity to CO2?
- 51:30 Not just about nose vs mouth
- 59:00 Running up Snowdon six times in 24 hours and 216km Ultra Marathon
- 1:05:00 How to Follow Jacko & details of courses
- 1:06:55 Rooted Life Website (Includes Lucy Williamson's Gut Health Course) & Details of October Retreat.
- Website: https://www.probreathwork.com/
- Free Course: 'Foundation of Breathing'
- Free Coiurse: 'Stress & Anxiety Management'
- Instagram: @jacko.david.jackson
- Twitter: @JackoHumanFlag
- YouTube: @jacko-breathwork
- The Oxygen Advantage Website
- Details of October Retreat
Our sincere thanks to David 'Jacko' Jackson for giving up his time to be a guest on the show!
Want to join the live recordings?
Episodes of the Sports Therapy Association podcast are recorded live every TUESDAY at 8pm on the Sports Therapy Association YOUTUBE CHANNEL. Everyone is welcome - you do not have to be an STA member! If you cannot join us live, be sure to subscribe to the 'Sports Therapy Association Podcast' on all popular podcast apps to be notified when new episodes are available.
Please Support Our Podcast!
If you appreciate what we do, please take a couple of minutes to leave us a rating & review on Apple Podcasts. It really does make all the difference in helping us reach out to a larger audience. iPhone users you can do this from your phone, Android users you will need to do it from iTunes.