'Relative Energy Deficiency In Sport (RED-S): What Therapists Need To Know' - Special guest Lucy Gillbanks, ex-international athlete & RED-S Researcher, talks to us about the presentation she will be delivering at this year's Therapy Expo, in the STA Theatre at 10.15am on Wednesday Nov 22nd.
Relative Energy Deficiency in Sport (RED-S) describes a syndrome of characteristics that can result in physical, psychological and psychosocial side effects including
reoccurring injuries including stress fractures
- menstrual dysfunction
- excessive fatigue
- inability to recover well between sessions
- supressed immune system
- reduced social interaction
- difficulty maintaining relationships
- poor emotional regulation
- guilt and anxiety around food
Lucy Gillbanks discusses the huge role that soft tissue therapists can play in raising awareness & understanding of RED-S, and knowing when & how to refer clients on to specialists in order to help save them from the all too common misdiagnoses of their physical & mental suffering.
Topics discussed (with time stamps):
- 0:00 Intro
- 1:55 Reminder of Ep.166 'Personalised Nutrition For The Future: Gut Microbiome' with special guest Dr Lucy Williamson
- 3:48 Welcome Lucy Gillbanks
- 4:47 Lucy Gillbanks' personal experience of RED-S
- 13:20 Why Massage Therapists need to be aware of RED-S
- 18:38 Empowering Massage Therapists & their role in Healthcare
- 21:11 Athletes suffering from RED-S do not necessarily look frail or unwell.
- 29:20 Why RED-S is missed by some GPs and Coaches
- 33:00 Is awareness of RED-S improving?
- 38:00 Intentional Weightloss vs Unintentional Weightloss.
- 42:00 Who do you refer potential RED-S sufferers to?
- 50:33 Recovery from RED-S
- 54:18 RED-S in Male Athletes
- 59:00 Lucy Gillbanks at Therapy Expo 2023
- 61:14 A look at the next episode of STA Podcast: “The Changing Face Of Qualifications. Who Can We Trust?”
Our sincere thanks to Lucy Gillbanks for giving up her time to be a guest on the show!
Want to join the live recordings?
Episodes of the Sports Therapy Association podcast are recorded live every TUESDAY at 8pm on the Sports Therapy Association YOUTUBE CHANNEL. Everyone is welcome - you do not have to be an STA member! If you cannot join us live, be sure to subscribe to the 'Sports Therapy Association Podcast' on all popular podcast apps to be notified when new episodes are available.
Please Support Our Podcast!
If you appreciate what we do, please take a couple of minutes to leave us a rating & review on Apple Podcasts. It really does make all the difference in helping us reach out to a larger audience. iPhone users you can do this from your phone, Android users you will need to do it from iTunes.