Regular host Matt Phillips returns from sunny Cyprus to bring us THREE episodes of the Sports Therapy Association podcast focusing on the KNEE. In this episode 'The Adolescent Knee', Matt's special guest is Angela Jackson, a physiotherapist on a mission to provide fellow health care professionals with tools to reduce the amount of injury we see in youth sport - injury that all too often with the right education could have been avoided.
Angela's website angelajacksonphysio.com includes a fantastic series of courses for health care professionals including “Assessment, Diagnosis and Return to Play of the Adolescent Knee” and “Injury to Return to Play - Adolescent Knee and Low Back Pain”.
Topics discussed in this episode include:
- The ethos behind 'Active Kids are not Mini Adults'
- Just because you have the skills to work with an adult knee does not mean you have the knowledge to work with a child's knee.
- Details of the ‘Assessment, Diagnosis and Return to Play of the Adolescent Knee’ on Angela's website.
- Using a Paediatric Pathology Quiz (X-ray photos) on the course to help set a baseline of knowledge.
- Question: Is there a gender disparity between knee conditions in young athletes? • Hypermobility and Valgus Angle
- How to engage younger athletes so they comply with recommended exercises
- Question: How common and successful is surgical intervention? • How accurate are screening protocols, e.g. measuring Q-Angle?
- Question: Fractured femur, lateral displacement, ACL ruptury in 20 year old athlete
- Rehabilitation & realistic expectation
- Choosing CPD that will help the individual therapist • Patellofemoral Pain - differences in anatomy between adults and younger athletes
- Osgood Schlatter’s Disease - potential misdiagnosis
- Patella Alta - asymptomatic vs symptomatic
Our sincere thanks to Angela Jackson for giving up her time to be a guest on the show.
Aug 23rd - 'Patellofemoral Pain' with specialist Claire Robertson
Aug 30th - ‘Do I need Knee Surgery’ with Consultant Orthopaedic Knee Surgeon Jonathan Bell
Want to join the Live Recording?
Episodes are recorded live every TUESDAY at 8pm on the Sports Therapy Association YOUTUBE CHANNEL. Everyone is welcome - you do not have to be an STA member! If you cannot join us live, be sure to subscribe to the 'Sports Therapy Association Podcast' on all popular podcast apps to be notified when new episodes are available.
Please Support Our Podcast!
If you appreciate what we do, please take a couple of minutes to leave us a rating & review on Apple Podcasts. It really does make all the difference in helping us reach out to a larger audience. iPhone users you can do this from your phone, Android users you will need to do it from iTunes.
Questions? Email: email@example.com